Sunday, August 26, 2012

MissGelo on Sketchfab - Emit material

Hello,
here's my last release on Sketchfab:


What's that? This is an original italian product, made in Sicily, and her name's MissGelo; this machine can help you in making a perfect sicilian granita.
As I've made the animation when the product has been launched, I wanted to rebuild it for realtime visualization too. I think that 3d animation is a nice and powerful tool for presentation and advertise but I think also that a realtime experience could be a better way to explore and check a product before to buy it. You can look closer, change perspective and study color and shapes.

I would like to publish a "making of" too, but unfortunately I cannot share these data because of contracts and industrial secret. So... I can just give you some more tips in order to have a nice result while using Sketchfab.


Lights

For this scene, I had to illuminate a big box. And this is not only a simple box, but a metal box, that involves reflections; this is in my opinion a good example of a simple object hard to light correctly.
I've started with the M.White light setup, because it is useful and simple, but:

  • I've doubled the fill lights, so they're four now
  • I've added two cold lights, one for the top and one for the bottom
  • there's no keylight but only the main specular
  • I've removed backlight and "white pusher"
It's important for this scene to have a more uniform lighting.
I've baked ambient occlusion and textures, even if AO now can't help too much because we haven't got some holes or complicated shapes: technically it's just a box with some buttons and textures. But anyway, some AO is better than nothing.




About auto-illuminant material

Yes, it's not only possible but it works very VERY perfectly. The exchange between Blender and Sketchfab is really transparent and extremely easy: what you see is what you get.
The emittin material you can see in my work is a simple Lambert shader with "Emit" parameter setted to 0.40. Nothing more.
I suggest you to focus a lot on specular's effects of each light, because is really what give you the difference between each scene and shader!


And as last, the previous animation:



Ciao,
Pietro


No comments:

Post a Comment